On 49 Baldwin Avenue in Paia you will find what looks like an ordinary looking grocery store from the outside. But don’t be fooled, because Mana Foods is nothing ordinary! It’s actually quite extraordinary in it’s variety and selection of whole, natural foods and offerings.
Once you step inside and look around, you will see it’s the best local grocery to find organic, gluten free, locally grown produce and fresh pastries on the island. There is a bakery, a beauty/supplement area, bulk spices and other bulk ingredients, non-GMO items, hot and cold prepared dishes, raw food bar, fresh produce, fresh juices and so much more. Surprisingly, many items you may even be able to get for a fraction of the cost of a juice bar joint on the mainland. It is that reasonable! The staff is helpful and very knowledgeable. Another huge plus is Mana Foods is right next store to our Coldwell Banker Island Property office. So stop by and say hi, let us help you with your Real Estate needs and grab a bite to eat at Mana Foods.
You will see many of the residents in the area hanging out and grabbing a healthy lunch or some groceries, but a lot of people will make their 1xmonth or weekly trip to Mana Foods from all over the island. Here’s why.
Mana Foods Sections
Mana Foods has different store sections that you can explore:
- Grocery – From your basic needs to exotic cooking ingredients, you will find it at Mana Foods. Of course being a natural food store you will find gluten-free, sugar-free etc. products, but you will also find lots of locally made products that you’ve been searching for. But let’s talk about choices of one product. They for sure have choices packed into this little power house of a grocery store. Get this! 100 different types of nut and seed butters, 130 different jams and jellies, 50 Choices of seaweed! Mana Food may have the largest tea assortment EVER! with 650 choices for tea.
- Produce –”No trip to Mana Foods would be complete without a walk down the longest, most colorful, and alive aisle in the store.” quoted right off Mana Foods web site, and let me tell you, it’s TRUE! It is simply beautiful! The fruits and vegetables are amazingly colorful and full of tropical exotics!
- Meats -The meats at Mana Foods are of course hormones and antibiotics free, grass -fed and free of herbicides and pesticides. There is quite a wide selection of organic and grass fed beef, natural, free range, and organic chicken and turkey. As I mentioned about Mana Foods amazing selection it goes on throughout the store. How does buffalo, venison and wild boar sound? Or if your exotic taste buds are really flaring up ask them to order you some elk, ostrich, rabbit, duck, alligator, kangaroo, or even Peking duck! The fish -ahi, opah, mahi mahi or salmon and shell-fish like clams, mussels and shrimp will be the freshest they can get! And what’s really nice is 90% of their fish is locally caught, other cold water varieties come in from New Zealand and Alaska.
- Health & Beauty – You’ll find a lot of great products in this section like natural makeup, lotions, and nail polish. After all, the skin is the largest organ in your body and natural products are very important to apply. Natural vitamins, superfoods, homeopathics, flower essences, Chinese herbs, bulk herbs, essential oils and so much more can be found in the Health and Beauty room. There is someone always on duty in this section to share their knowledge with you if you need it.
- Specialty Cheese – 400 choices! From exotic to local, raw to smoked, simple to sophisticated! You’ll find Gouda, Edam, Mozzarella, Jack Cheese, Provolone, Gorgonzola, Goat Cheddar, Feta, Brie, Camembert, Manchego, Cypress Grove Humboldt Fog, Grafton Cheddar from Vermont just to name a few.
- Deli – Just check Trip-advisor. Mana Foods is rated the 2nd best restaurant in Maui, and the funny thing is, is it even a restaurant? That is saying a lot! Everything is made from scratch using the finest ingredients. The hardest part is choose what is for lunch because there are so many ono items to choose from. You just have to see it and taste it – there are no words!
- Bakery – Freshly made delights with Vegan and Gluten-free choices. There are breads made fresh daily. The menu offers the regular yummies and also adds lots of variety throughout the year with the days and holidays!
- Raw Foods – The raw food assortment is great!According to their website they offer:
- Salads, Spreads, and Pates: Raw Pesto, Carrot Cashew Pate, “No Egg” Salad, Spinach Sunflower Spread, Raw Sauerkraut and Kim Chee.Desserts: Assorted Raw Chocolates, Truffles and Cheesecakes, Chocolate MousseDrinks: Coconut Mocha Toddy, Happy Milk, Green Tea Latte, Green SoupSnacks and Treats: Kale Krisps, Energy Balls, Sprouted Crackers, Buckwheat FlatbreadsEntrees: Pizza Slices, Lasagna, Wraps, Crepes, Sprouted BurgersFree of gluten, soy, dairy, wheat, preservatives, and animal products.
Environment & Community
Mana Foods uses biodegradable plastic wear and to-go containers that are made from corn. They also allow local farmers to pick-up any compost that they have. Throughout the store, you’ll notice that they’ve installed LED lights. Other than caring for the environment, Mana Foods also cares for the community by donating to different organizations every month. A list of these organizations can be found on their website.
If you haven’t been to Mana Foods yet, Drop by! It’s an amazing healthy shopping and eating experience!